Thursday, April 04, 2013

QUEUE THIS!


I'm still recovering from my spring break with the kiddos, so this is going to be another quick intro. Also, my post this week has the very special distinction of being the first one where I have not actually seen any of the films.  But have no fear my lovely readers, I've heard a ton of chatter about these babies, so I think you'll be just fine.  These are all very recent Netflix arrivals that have enjoyed healthy festival runs (and theatrical distribution in many cases), so they're hot, hot, hot!  I can't wait to watch them!  QUEUE THIS:

Bachelorette (dir Leslye Headland, 2012)  Netflix says:  "When a single overachiever learns, to her horror, that an overweight girl she teased in high school is getting married before her, she swallows her pride and serves as maid of honor, enlisting her old clique to help through an evening of mishaps. With Kirsten Dunst, Isla Fisher, Lizzy Caplan, Rebel Wilson, James Marsden and Adam Scott."  From what I gather, it's a pretty dark comedy. I need to see it!

L!fe Happens (dir Kat Coiro, 2011)  Netflix says: "Hipsters from the trendy Silverlake neighborhood of Los Angeles contend with adulthood in this woman-powered comedy. When one of them gives birth to a baby, her roomie resolves to not let this new responsibility hamper their lifestyle. With Krysten Ritter, Kate Bosworth and Rachel Bilson" I live in the trendy Silver Lake area (yes, it's two words) so maybe if I watch this I'll learn a little something about how I should really be living...

Dreams of a Life (dir Carol Morley, 2011)  Netflix says: "The strange story of Joyce Vincent, whose body was found in her tiny studio flat three years after she died. How did an outgoing 38-year-old with no shortage of friends and family just disappear from the world?"  Um...so... yeah, I need to watch this for a "friend" who's 38 and doesn't want to end up dead and forgotten for three years in her Silver Lake apartment.

Nobody Walks (dir Ry Russo-Young, 2012)  Netflix says: "The arrival of aspiring filmmaker Martine into a laid-back Southern California household brings about dramatic changes in the lives of her hosts. The bond between Martine and Peter, who is helping her with a project, soon becomes more complex. With John Krasinski, Jane Levy, Olivia Thirlby, Dylan McDermott and Rosemarie DeWitt."  No wait, maybe this will be the one to teach me how I should really be living as a filmmaker in Southern California...?  Also, this was co-written by Lena Dunham, so it's got to be interesting, right? I personally think yes.

Detropia (dir Heidi Ewing & Rachel Grady, 2012)  Netflix says: "As the focus of this sobering documentary, the decline of Detroit also reflects the nation's larger failure to keep up in a modern global economy. The film also examines the efforts of its residents to maintain Detroit's vibrant cultural base."  I'm really happy this is available on Netflix now because my efforts to leave my house to see it obviously never panned out.  It's been all over the festival circuit (including Sundance) and I've heard great things. Looking forward to watching it from my couch!

Thoughts? Concerns? Have you seen any of these? Is there a type of film you'd like to see more of in my weekly post? Please share below.

QUEUE THIS! is a weekly post by Destri Martino that appears on the Broad Humor Blog every Thursday morning.  The goal of the post is to get more women-directed films in Netflix queues in order to make a sizable impact on Netflix analytics and buying patterns; thus, getting more films by women directors distributed and seen, and generally heightening awareness about this often overlooked pool of talent.  View the past two QUEUE THIS! posts here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment