Monday, February 18, 2013

Top 10 Sitcoms Created by Women

With the recent cancellations of Ben & Kate (created by Dana Fox) and Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 (created by Nahnatchka Khan), sitcoms created by women aren't having a great 2013 so far. But, that doesn't mean that women don't create funny, successful sitcoms, so here's a list of the top 10 sitcoms ever created by women, according to me. (*Some of these shows were co-created with a man, but I won't count that against them.)

10) Hot in Cleveland (Suzanne Martin)

9) The New Adventures of Old Christine (Kari Lizer)

8) Designing Women (Linda Bloodworth-Thomason)

7) Suburgatory (Emily Kapnek)

6) The Nanny (Fran Drescher, Peter Marc Jacobson)

5) Friends (Marta Kauffman, David Crane)

4) The Wonder Years (Carol Black, Neal Marlens)

3) Murphy Brown (Diane English)

2) 30 Rock (Tina Fey)

1) Golden Girls (Susan Harris)
Not only is this the best sitcom created by a woman, it's one of the best sitcoms ever. Period. (Not to mention, the theme song is pretty darn catchy.)

Are there any other shows that you think deserve a spot on this list? Let me know in the comments below!

8 comments:

  1. JacqAttacq4:45 AM

    You forgot New Girl! That show is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Rosanne? She's a real Broad after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Girl is awesome! #11?
    I love Roseanne! But, that show was actually created by Matt Williams, so it sadly did not qualify for this list. If it had, it would definitely have made the top 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it says he created it in the credits, but here's what Roseanne wrote in a NY Magazine article - "It was at the premiere party when I learned that my stories and ideas—and the ideas of my sister and my first husband, Bill—had been stolen. The pilot was screened, and I saw the opening credits for the first time, which included this: CREATED BY MATT WILLIAMS. I was devastated and felt so betrayed that I stood up and left the party. Not one person noticed." Full article here: http://nymag.com/arts/tv/upfronts/2011/roseanne-barr-2011-5/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny. I was going to post the same article. It's a great article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm ashamed to say that I did not know that "Golden Girls" was created by a woman. That makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would add The Mindy Project to the list.

    ReplyDelete