Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Can We Talk? Legendary Funny Lady and Fashion Cop Joan Rivers

Ok, It's Wednesday and the Oscars were on Sunday. By now the water cooler should have some other topic to be buzzing about but I work from home, so what do I know? Do people still stand around water coolers? As a person who works in the industry, the Oscars should be all about the films, but let's face it, I love looking at pretty dresses. As much as I like to discuss the merit of each individual film, the snubs and surprises, there is still part of me that is a catty teenager ripping apart the pretty people for their poor fashion decisions.

Thankfully, I am not alone. There is this show called "Fashion Police" and at the helm speaking out for our inner fifteen year old is legendary funny lady Joan Rivers. While watching the post Oscar special I started thinking about how polished Ms. Rivers is as a comedian, she has more that quadrupled her "ten thousand hours" in show biz. She has a cabinet full of material that she can just draw on at any moment and adapt to current events and celebrities.

Can we talk about her career? When I was a child she was a fixture on late night television and afternoon talk shows and even then she was a seasoned comedian. Sometime around 1986 My mother snuck me into one of her performances in the Catskills, the next morning I saw her at the hotel and told her I liked her routine as well as her performance in "Muppets Take Manhattan." I was probably too young to really appreciate the humor but I remember it well.

I rediscovered how brillant Joan is after watching the documentary "Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work"

She is someone who has had great successes and terrible tragedies but has carved out a career out of speaking about the lives of women and everything from our insecurities to our inner bitches.

But I can talk all I want, you have to hear it from her. I've compiled some clips spanning her career.

Also check out her special on Showtime this month. Joan Rivers: Don't Start with Me

No comments:

Post a Comment